How to Make A Beautiful Bed
Whenever Rick and I are preparing a home for the market, we spend quite a bit of time and focus on making sure the bedrooms in a home reflect a beautiful and cozy space. Today’s article, How to Make a Beautiful Bed includes designer tips beginning with linen selection, pillows, and shams to photos of six luxurious beds from homes that we have recently staged and sold. Beautiful bedrooms shouldn’t be reserved for marketing brochures. After all, we spend a third of our lives sleeping, our bedroom should be a luxurious place to rest and enjoy.
Luxurious Bed Linens
- Buy the best linens you can afford, starting with the ones close to your body. I prefer white sheets for a simple, luxurious look. Read more about shopping for linens and thread count in last week’s article, Debunking Thread Count (HERE).
- Make your bed with the finished top edge of your flat sheet face down.
- Add a blanket or coverlet as your second layer, then fold the flat sheet over the top of the 2nd layer.
- Add a comforter or duvet in a weight that’s appropriate for your climate and the season. I prefer using comforters and duvets because they add loft and make your bed look plush and inviting (see photos below for an idea on how to fold back your comforter).
- Place a favorite throw at the foot of the bed – it makes your bed look all that much cozier and it’s useful for chilly nights when you are reading or watching TV in bed.
Pillows and Shams
Once you have your basic bed set up, decorative shams and pillows are the icing on the cake and will give your bed a welcoming and chic look. Choosing a variety of neutral shades and textures creates a restful, luxurious feel while more colorful patterned pillows are a great way to infuse your space with personality.
What is the Magic Number of Shams/Pillows on a Bed?
1. For a Double or Queen-sized bed, a simple arrangement of two square euro shams, two standard sized pillow shams decorative + lumbar (long rectangle) pillow are a winning combination. Alternatively, you could replace the lumbar pillow with 3 square toss pillows. Note how the use of colorful patterned pillows and comforter, bring personality and style into an all-white bedroom space. To view more photos of this Los Altos bungalow, visit our properties page | HERE.
2. The elegant double bed shown below showcases how a lumbar pillow looks when added to the simple combination of two square euro shams + 3 square toss pillows.
3. This queen-sized bed uses the same formula as the double bed above, with the addition of 1 large and 1 small square pillow.
4. This queen-sized bed uses the same simple arrangement of two square euro shams, two standard sized pillow shams decorative + 2 square throw pillows (vs 3 above), for a clean and luxurious look. For more photos of this modern remodel in San Carlos, visit our properties page | HERE.
5. A King-sized bed can be a trickier than a queen or double bed, as you have more space to work with, and therefore more options. My personal choice is 3 Euro Pillows, 2 king-size shams + lumbar (long rectangle) pillow. Alternatively, you could add 3 square toss pillows behind your lumbar pillow as seen in the bedroom below. For more photos of this beautifully staged Los Altos Hills bedroom, visit our properties page | HERE.
6. This all-white king size bed is actually the same formula as above – without the use of a lumbar pillow. To view more photos of this new-construction Los Altos home, visit our properties page | HERE.
Whether it’s buying, selling, or just enjoying what you have, please consider us your soup to nuts real estate partner. We that hope this post was helpful if you’ve been looking for a way to switch things up in your home. Your home should be a place to relax and enjoy life – your Happy Place. Strive to create spaces that make you feel at peace and if something’s not working; make a change. Often it’s the smallest change that creates the biggest impact.
Looking For More?
- For additional articles of this nature, visit our Lifestyle Archives | HERE
- Read more about shopping for linens and thread count in last week’s article, Debunking Thread Count (HERE).
- Are you looking for ways to make your house a home, without breaking the bank? Visit, 5 Affordable Tips to Refresh Your Home |HERE
Stay up to speed on local events, happenings and all things Real Estate by Following Us On Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter
About Us: Rick and Suzanne Bell are real estate agents with over 45 years of combined experience in real estate home sales. Serving Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Palo Alto, Mountain View and surrounding Silicon Valley communities, Rick and Suzanne deliver a diverse and unique skill set when assisting clients in the marketing of their homes.
Rick’s background in both commercial and residential real estate marketing, coupled with his personal experience in real estate investment and home renovation empowers Rick’s clients with creative, unique and practical solutions when preparing and marketing their homes for sale.
Having managed nearly 500 employees as a Nordstrom store manager, Suzanne’s background in leadership, problem-solving & customer service provides for a very unique skill set in addressing the challenges often faced during a modern real estate transaction.